To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Paper leader tape

At 12:46 PM 2007-01-10, Ed Falk wrote:
John Bondurant wrote:
Does anyone know of a reliable vendor for 1/4" paper leader tape? I have had two vendors tell me they are out of stock and it looks like (in their opinion) that this product has become obsolete.

IMHO, "reliable" and "paper leader tape" don't go in the same sentence. I've had nothing but misery with old tapes that were spliced with paper leader tape. Something in the paper reacts with the splicing tape and the glue fails in about 20 years. I have not had this problem with plastic leader tape.

In other words, yes, the product is obsolete.

On the other hand, I've had several instances of oxide laminating to 3M plastic leader tape and ripping off the backing. "In the day" paper was preferred, though I never understood why. Now I do.

I have an adequate but not excessive stock of it for my use. Watch ePay--it might show up again.

Cheers,

Richard