From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Don Cox
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 11:25 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital in a post-digital universe--was:
Interesting WSJ Article on when libraries should discard their holdings.

On 07/01/07, Scott Phillips wrote:
> Cindered planet means the 78's are nothing but ash anyway. Jokingly,
> your argument only works before the time man had the ability to
> destroy itself in a few microseconds. A meteoroid or comet would toast

> every thing on only one side of the planet, just killing all the
> living beings on that side. J/K. It is all a very circular argument,
> isn't it...?

It is perfectly possible to have a general collapse of civilisation
without reducing the whole planet to ash. I had in mind a Dark Ages
situation, and in particular the disappearance of electrical power.

However, a large meteor strike would affect the whole planet, not just
the side it strikes.

Regards
--
Don Cox