Re: [ARSCLIST] Strips of plastic play audio when you run your teeth over them

George Brock-Nannestad
> Jon Noring wrote:

>> Not sure if this has already been posted to ARSC.
>>
>> I chuckled when I saw the following:
>>
>>    http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/07/strips_of_plastic_pl.html
>>
>> Really an interesting novelty, and one that we all can appreciate.

> ----- it was a novelty in the early 1950s, and the strip was acetate. Sadly,
> this tended to distor over time. A Swedish toothpaste manufacturer would
> include one in the cardboard box for the tube. You would make a slit in the
> box, thread the strip and hear a commercial. Mike Biel showed me similar US
> adverts about 20 years ago. Let us hope they have now solved the longevity
> issue.

Thanks! I had no idea these things have been marketed years ago, but
then as I think about it, does not surprise me.

Related question:

Did anyone in the distant past work on a "tape" or "wire" system based
on groove or shape for mechanical playback (not magnetic)?

Jon