Re: [ARSCLIST] Strips of plastic play audio when you run your teeth over them

Perhaps they were like small dictabelts.

                                  Roger Kulp

"Michael Biel m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <m-biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi George --
I was in the middle of posting a comment that I had one of these for
over 30 years when your posting came thru!  I think these red ones are
made of vinyl, but I'll check mine out when I get a chance.  It seemed
fine the last time I looked at it.  These recordings are, of course,
prime candidates for archival preservation, so they should be
manufactured on archival material.  The one I have says "Sutherland
Lumber."  They're vertical recordings, which is appropriate to use
Edison's method since these are for acoustical playback.

My original posting was going to say that they do not work well if you
draw them over your teeth.  As the page discusses, you should draw
your fingernail over the recording ridges to set the tape vibrating,
and then you amplify the vibrations by attaching the end to a balloon,
card, box, or hold the end with your teeth.

Mike Biel  mbiel@xxxxxxx