Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

LOL well, i'm holding out for a record collector (male) who might understand
the cultural connotation of boy band appreciation. Of course, gender
identity is a whole other aspect of the commercial pop field amongst many
people...another reason to preserve even the "crap" (my parentheses) because
it may have significant value to understanding a particular paradigm (ie I
really wouldn't want to listen to disco unless it had an influence on a
later band/culture I wanted to know more about.)

I guess this boils down to divorcing the music as personal collectors and
fans to preserving the music as cultural anthropologists. There needs to be
the supercollector/superfan to archive the material, and what may not be
"needed" immediately, or even in a decade or two, may be needed generations
away. We are living in an incredible time when the cost of digitally
archiving material is very accessible. I ackowledge the concerns about
longevity and quality of digital media, however, even if the
superfan/collector can network and let people know their collection is
available we are at an incredible time to NOT LOSE STUFF.

That sums it up. I love that this list is archived by the LOC. If someone
twenty years from now needs mid-nineties queer punk bootlegs, I've got em. I
know they should be in a vault, but is it worth it yet?

The look on the teen girl's face when I handed her a ten year old punk band
bootleg was worth it. I'm dealing with issues of copyright whey I do that,
but as a (soon to be) librarian I want people to access the information they
need. I don't take it for granted that people in cities have more access
than people in rural areas to this material. It pains me to weed anything at
the library, but it is my greatest happiness is to disseminate
information/media that people might not otherwise have access to. I think
all librarians are really working from their heart when they cull their
collections. Sometimes it will fall back on the
collector/researcher/archivist to complete the story, but the history of the
world has been told in incomplete records. We're still here.

Courtney

On 1/5/07, phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wow, I've had my layup rejected into the tenth row! Good points that I can't refute, cause I'm a guy and still don't have girls figured out. I did sucker one into marrying me. Poor her. You should hear her bitch about all the records. Phillip