Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

Dear Phillip,
How would a researcher truely understand the intersection of sexualization,
racial identity, commercialization, media consolidation, marketing, and
identity development amongst pre-teen girls if pop records were not
preserved? I think that is a reason to save the Backstreet Boys and Vanilla
Ice. Their cultural impact goes far beyond radio hits because it represents
so much else that was going on during the 1990s.

Courtney B
(NKOTB expert, very happy to drive by the historical marker for Mario
Lanza's home this afternoon)

On 1/5/07, phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You know, I'm sure there were hundreds of sides that were the equivalent of Britney Speers' "oops i did it again". Pop music doesn't necessarily need to be preserved if it takes resources away from something truly unique (interviews, broadcasts, lectures, etc.) or productive. I'm sure many of us got into this because of a love for music, but you know there's lots of crap out there that doesn't merit being saved. Maybe one of you can look me in the face and tell me that we MUST preserve the outputs of The Backstreet Boys and Vanilla Ice. I say fine, YOU pay for it. But if their entire catalog was "sent to the cornfields" by Billy Mumy, I wouldn't miss a minute of sleep. Phillip

Steve Ramm wrote:
> I specifically said "I don't want to start a discussion" but I see
I  did.

> My only take on this is that when the Temple University library needed
> dispose of their 78 rpm records (to build a new Student Union) they
called 5
> local knowledgeable person here (I was one but less knowledgeable than
the
> others). They said "take what you want". I know that when it got to me
(5th) I
> could only find about 75 records I wanted for FREE! The rest were
duplicate runs
>  of Carusos and other common Red Seals and lots of 10in and 12 in
classical
> 78  sets. The pop stuff was mostly pop vocals and bands on red label
Columbias.
> Many  of these were "donated" to the Temple library. They didn't even
have a
> 78  player. My guess is about 10,000 remaining records were discarded.
>
> I took a few interesting records which will be preserved but the cost
of  the
> University maintaining the collection was too much.
>
> By same token the Frankllin Institute here in Philly needed to build
an  Imax
> Theater and - since overy few were using their library they auctioned
off
> the contents. I was lucky to get their run of Talking Machine and
Phonograph