[ARSCLIST] Record markets--was: Clarifying the MAM-A gold comment

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  Where I think most people are screwing up today is that they confuse the
values of singles with the values of albums. These have always been two
completely different universes.

With one brief exception...which may be where the record industry still thinks
they
are living! Around 1965-66 or so, young buyers quit buying singles (although
they
still listened to them on the radio) in favour of LP albums. By 1967, the
Beatles
(and others) were experimenting with "concept albums"...from which singles
couldn't be taken (so some educational FM stations began programming albums,
and attracted many listeners). In fact, once 45's quit selling, most artists
released
albums (now CD's). In today's "Urban Dance" market, they seem to have swung
back in the direction of individual songs as hits (possibly because they could
be downloaded individually...?!)

But, I don't think "CD singles" ever took off...which would (I think) mean that
"records" are mostly, if not entirely, in "album" format...while downloads are
generally of individual songs, thus like "singles"...

?!