To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Clarifying the MAM-A gold comment

Tom Fine writes:
Reduce that to
$7.50 and it suddenly
doesn't seem such a ripoff to most people.

Yahoo is priced at 79 cents for a 192k windoze media file but that hasn't created much of a stir. I really don't buy the idea that price is that much of a factor provided the quality is acceptable. We've seen this in retail pricing. I remember being utterly shocked to see stores almost never discounting CDs and most people never even blinking.

Folks either want to buy a recording or they don't. It's just like they want to go to a concert or they don't. There's no such thing as generic or commodity entertainment because we all value our leisure time far too highly. I agree the future is two tiered but I suspect we've really just gone back to singles vs. albums.

Your mom and dad along with others created the market for albums out of nothing as a premium product. It could even be argued that they created the Hi Fi industry as well. On the other hand Motown was arguably the last of the great singles labels. Where I think most people are screwing up today is that they confuse the values of singles with the values of albums. These have always been two completely different universes.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com