Re: [ARSCLIST] Question on matrix take numbers

If you're talking about late 1930s / early 1940s (RCA) Victor then 1A is a second cutting table duplicating the first. Signal is split and sent to both tables simultaneously. Some modern restorers have been able to obtain a faux stereo by using both the "1" and "1A" sides synced together.
There may actually have been some early stereo (binaural?) recordings made this way, but it would have to have been with dual signal paths, not a split signal.
Mal

*******

Larry Friedman wrote:

I've recently started to pay closer attention to matrix numbers. The take
numbers appended to the end of them are often instructive. Could someone
more knowledgeable than I explain to me the difference between a take listed
as "1" and one listed as "1A"? Does the latter mean a dubbing, and, if so,
what does this imply?

Thanks for your help.

-Larry Friedman