Re: [ARSCLIST] FLAC?

Tom and Don el al.,

This argument against compression has been around as long as there has been data compression and it doesn't really hold up. Data corruption can corrupt any data, compressed or uncompressed. Data corruption is an argument *for* backing things up or running checksums, not *against* compression.

Lossless compression is so widely used now that it isn't an issue to argue over anymore. Every PNG and GIF file on the internet is compressed losslessly and we aren't worrying about corruption there. TIFF has LZW compression built in and it is the archival image standard. The issue is that it has to be implemented correctly and widely supported. I don't think FLAC is there yet. I'll be interested in investigating mpg4als which Bob Olhsson mentioned.

Off the top of my head I'd say these would be the basic requirements for a lossless compressed format to take off in the audio world and supplant wav as the standard format for archiving:

1) Files should inflate when opened in *all* the commonly used audio editing tools (no need for helper aps). Can you imagine if you had to decompress a jpeg in a helper app before opening it in Photoshop?
2) Transparent support of wav/BWF metadata both on inflate and on deflate. In other words, your metadata doesn't get screwed up when you open a file in another app, make changes, and then save as compressed again.
3) Files play back on/in *all* standard consumer playback hardware/software (itunes, ipods, real, winamp, etc)

Anything come close yet?

David Seubert