Re: [ARSCLIST] Early Polydor electrics, the depression, etc

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> I have seen those old Harmony 78s,but I was never sure
> about thier connection with Columbia.Also,while I have
> heard incredibly good sounding pre-1930 tubes,used in
> later equipment,I have not heard any early electrical
> phonos,I particularly liked.Now,once you get into the
> 40s,that's a different story...

Actually, changing individual tubes can affect the sound
of a vacuum-tube audio device...though not to the extent
that rock guitarists believe!

Note also that early electrical players were actually
"moving coil" devices...which used very heavy NON-Alnico
magnets (whose magnetisim could have been lost?).

However, in this day and age, when vacuum tubes either
originate from old hoards found in back shelves of now-
closed radio repair businesses or from countries like
Russia, China et al...I doubt if it would be practical
(or possible) to assemble a collection of examples of
a given tube, and then either test characteristics
using a dynamic tube tester or simply use the "plug
it/them in and audition" method!

> However,I can tell you there are certain pieces of
> equipment,from the late 20s/early 30s,that will make
> audiophiles(audiophools?) swoon.The most obvious
> example,is the Loftin-White Amplifier,which I have not
> had the pleasure of hearing.
> http://www.mindspring.com/~mjh850830/loftin-white/

The Loftin-White amplifier was a new circuit design (at
the time) and, IIRC, was not easily built. I don't know
if it was ever available in a commercial unit.

However, the appeal of vacuum tubes in audio is based on
the fact that they produce a more listenable distortion
than do solid-state devices...but this also means that
the distortion levels could be higher in a vacuum-tube
unit than its solid-state counterpart!

IIRC, there were solid-state units that had virtually no
distortion...something which simply wasn't possible with
vacuum-tube circuitry...