Re: [ARSCLIST] Acetate tape discolours tape box

At 07:33 PM 10/18/2006, you wrote:
From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello all,

Richard Hess has provided us with yet another thought-proviking picture:

> Here is the best example I've seen that acetate tape's outgassing is > absorbed by the cardboard box. Presumably the brown areas of the box > are more acidic than the white areas, but I'm not really able to test > that. >

----- observing your example closely, I cannot help noting that the
impression or "shadow" is very distinct on the large centre area (and on the
extreme left, which would have been completing this impression when the box
was closed). However, the "other" side of the reel has only given a less
sharply defined outline, even on the top and bottom that would have had the
same relationship to the reel. I would think that this indicates that the box
has been stored horizontally for most of the time, the reel resting on the
carton, whereas there was some space between the reel and the opposing side
of the box, giving a less sharp shadow.

----- but is it really acid attack on the carton and not e.g. a lubricant?
And how is the reel itself - it looks slightly frosted - does it have a
deposit that sticks to your fingers?

Just asking before you send the material back.

Hello, George,

And, indeed, thought-provoking questions. The reel does not feel sticky...nothing seemed too sticky. I have ordered some pH test strips and I intend to slightly moisten the carton where it is dark and where it is not and see if I can get a pH indication of the two different areas.

I agree with your storage orientation analysis, but I do think that the top/bottom flaps are a bit more distinct than the lid to the left, which is spaced away by the distance of the top/bottom flaps.

What is very interesting is the reel in the box with the acetate tape on it has the spokes aligned on both sides while the impressions on the two sides are offset by 45 degrees. Hmmmm.

If I cannot measure acid, I will withdraw the analysis and just show it as outgassing. The box is for Kodak polyester tape, but the reel that was in it was acetate and the content marked on the box matched the reel.

Should have probably photographed one of the moldy reels I cleaned today. Yick. But I didn't realize it was that bad until I was in the garage and "suited up" for cleaning and the camera was inside. Next time...maybe.

Cheers,

Richard