Re: [ARSCLIST] MP3

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
>
> > Side thought...since all analog reproduction so far relies upon
> > mechanical contact with the recording, does not that mean that
> > ANY playing of an analog recording would involve some measurable
> > degredation of the object (recording) being played?
>
> Certainly, there is some deformation. Probably there is degradation.
> Possibly the change may be detectable. Detection itself means some form
> of measurement which means some sort of playing which implies
> deformation, probably degradation ...
>
> As for optical reading (laser or otherwise), there will be quantum
> effects at least, though admittedly the deformation and potential
> degradation will be exceedingly slight.

I think I posted a while back to the effect that the laser beams used
to play optical discs could, at least in theory, knock a few billion
molecules from their places...but was told that wasn't possible
because the actual information-bearing surface is protected by a
layer of transparent plastic.

Is this so?