Re: [ARSCLIST] Thirties Stereo

Ironically enough, I recently went on a search for the Stokowski Bell Labs
recordings, and the only thing I found was that Iron Needle disk. I have
never bought anything by this label for obvious reasons, but I had no choice
here, so I did. The transfer is actually not bad. There is a certain bloom
to the sound that I liked. I couldn't help but wonder where they had stolen
the recording from.

Soon after I bought the Iron Needle disk (that has about half of the
recordings), I found a "private" disk of all of the Bell recordings pressed
by Theo van der Burg of the Netherlands. His site is
http://www.med.hro.nl/burtw/. I have nothing to do with Her Burg, except
that I am a happy customer of his. His product is extremely well done, very
clear and open, and he was kind enough to send the set out to me even though
PayPal had bollixed up the payment. I imagine the rest of his transfers are
equally as good.

I heard the Ellington "accidental" stereo disks a number of years ago. They
were pressed and released, but I have forgotten by whom. The sound was good
and certainly less distracting than the Fantasia sound, where each choir of
instruments keeps bouncing around from speaker to speaker. As I remember,
the Ellingtons had a very nice spread. I will try and find out on which
label they were transferred.

-Larry Friedman