Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking question

Hi -

I'll put in my sixpence worth here.  I am working on a series of 10.5 inch
reels.  Some are acetate and some are plastic/mylar.  Most of these tapes have
highly acidic boxes, notes and cards, including the paper leader.  What I have
been doing is cutting out strips of Pellon and putting 2 layers over the heads
to save on head wear.  Then, as each splice come up....you hear it before you
get to it, I then clean the layers with lighter fluid.  Once I get to the
actual splice I then replace it, after cleaning off the old glue and put it
back together with archival splicing tape.  It is very time comsuming, but well
worth the efoort.

The ones which can be baked, will go into the - Baking pile and the acetates,
ofcourse, do not get baked!  Don't want a fire!  They are all then library
wound back to tailout.  Some are only pancakes, so I take the reel off and put
it back in the highly acidic box!  I created a database where I input all this
information into it - tape type, tape width, machine used, etc.

I had my worst one today, which was acetate 1/4 inch - great to see the glow of
acetate!  This tape had lost oxide where it had adhered to the old glue.  I
could see daylight!  The splices even had daylight!  All up, this reel, once
respooled tomorrow will have taken 5 hours to prepare it for the next stage!

Cheers
Marie
--
Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Sound Engineer/Sound Consultant