Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking question

Thanks, Tom,

There are so many complexities and options that I'd really have to see the tape and do the project. These are too complex to diagnose on the list.

For example, a worst-case scenario MIGHT be to break or disassemble the reel and lift off "donuts" of tape -- see the Big Donut picture on my Web page.

That might be the safest route. Unspooling after cold soak at 1.88 in/s might also be good, but the low humidity of cold soak isn't always the best thing for acetate either. Someone commented at AES that 20% RH really harms his acetate tapes.

I'm kinda toast at the moment. I drove 760 miles today from San Carlos, CA to Salt Lake City. Tomorrow to Sidney, Nebraska, and if I get started early enough I might get to play at the main Cabella's store <smile>. Heck, only 540 miles tomorrow. Wed I pick up another tape machine, Friday, I pick up one more and later that day drop off two in Buffalo. The truck is full of tape machines.

Cheers,

Richard

Quoting Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Guys -- NO!! Not if some sections are likely sticky shed and thoroughly
stuck. You need to try and get them un-stuck first. You will ruin the
stuck sections if you try to wind without unsticking. The oxide will
stay stuck to the back-coat it faces and will rip off its section of
binder and back-coat, rendering the tape ruined. Agree you cannot bake
the acetate sections. You need to wait for Richard Hess, who is at AES.
I don't know enough about cold-treatment to discuss the details. David,
I HIGHLY recommend you do not try to spool off sections of that reel as
it is now.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 7:54 AM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking question

Each segment should be put on a spearate reel and condisered for baking based on the characteristics of each individual segment.

Steven Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Carroll" <jwcarroll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 2:09 AM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking question

Seems to me you'd put the tape more at risk by trying to separate the
sections.  Are any obviously acetate?  I'm more inclined to think that
leaving it as is and baking it would be the safer route.  --JC

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.13.1/466 - Release Date: 10/7/2006