To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape baking question

For what it's worth, I'm talking about reels I assembled myself in the 80s for
broadcast purposes and where I want to transfer some tracks, ignore others (I
have the discs) and save anything where the original source material is no
longer available to me, as well as dub off a few items to answer some requests.
Baking the entire tape at a slow rate MIGHT work but there are often some hard
cases that need extra time, and it's senseless to expose undamaged tape to this
in my opinion. Besides, I assessed the risk of permanent oxide removal before
splitting the tapes.

On the other hand, I also found an entire reel of Shamrock 041 (green box), not
back coated, black oxide, and THAT reel is absolutely shot to hell with oxide
adhering to the adjacent layers. Fortunately there's a backup copy made on 176.

dl

Brandon Burke wrote:

Some good (and certainly responsible) points here, but I feel
compelled to say that i'm uncomfortable with the idea that there
exists somewhere a *true* sticky shed, and that only tapes "bound
together
until treated" qualify. This not only delegitimizes anything less than
over-the-top obvious hydrolysis, it also implies that (1) absolutely any
and every reel of poly tape, provided it contains at least one splice,
should be frozen before playback just in case the inner splice is sticky
and (2) we all have the option of freezing reels and playing them back
in a refrigerator.

That's bananas..

Brandon Burke