Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I think they should be paid for each performance, just as I am paid for
> an afternoon's work. I don't expect to be still being paid years later
> for something I did today.

The difference is that for most people (and I'm assuming this includes
yourself) "something [you] did yesterday" either solved the problem at
hand and can thus be filed under "Accomplishments" (i.e. a plumber
fixing a leaky pipe)...or was transient and thus exists only in
human memory (i.e. a live performance). In the case of a sound
recording, it has a certain "permanence" and can thus still
provide enjoyment...as well as still being available for purchase.

Thus, if your accomplishment can be somehow recorded for posterity,
made available for purchase and thus provide recompense for a party,
it seems only fair that you are also rewarded by a portion of that
income. In fact, what you are suggesting essentially defines the
pre-1942 record industry...where an artist was paid a given amount
for making a sound recording, and that was all he/she/it would...
or could...ever receive!