Re: [ARSCLIST] Musician's compensation wasCD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Karl Miller quoted:

> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Mike Richter wrote:
>
> > What it does not do is aid the Big Names of classical music. For them,
> > other models apply.

----- and wrote the bit at the end, which is in fine accord with the reports
in a book that will sour your day, if you did not already know:

'The Maestro Myth': Great Conductors in Pursuit of Power. Norman Lebrecht.
New York:Birch Lane Press, 1991. 380 pages

I have a UK paperback edition, and I assume it is quite simple to get.
Lebrecht also wrote 'When the Music Stops' (1996), which I also have read in
paperback.

The lesson is: get as much live music as you can, while you can. Teach your
heirs how to play LPs, let them inherit and keep as many as possible, tell
them how to take care of them, and keep track of where you get replacement
pickups and belts, if you do not have direct drive. You are still allowed to
play what you own for your own entertainment. With LPs you are in the
driver's seat and decide the quality. Ration it to preserve quality. With CDs
and other carriers and formats someone will take your money and decide for
you. Again and again. And again.

Kind regards,

George

(the rest is Karl's)