[ARSCLIST] Musician's compensation wasCD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Mike Richter wrote:

> What it does not do is aid the Big Names of classical music. For them,
> other models apply.

I agree but I would also suggest that the other models hurt classical
music. I don't see that Lorin Maazel is worth $2M a season to conduct the
New York Philharmonic...even if I valued his interpretations. How a 501 c
3 like the NY Phil can have someone on payroll who is paid that much is
insulting to my way of thinking.

My goodness, who does Maazel think he is, the UT Football coach? (who
makes about $2.6M a year)

Of course most musicians probably deserve to be paid more, but what can
you do when the market is such that you won't get what you might deserve
for your work?

By the way, the next time you consider donating to your alma mater or your
local orchestra, check out what the football coach or the conductor is
paid. I have, and I have written both out of my will.

Karl