Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Gunk

And hope that cleaning the disc doesn't reveal
flaking of the lacquer coating.

I think the above point could use a little more explanation. Instantaneous discs are not solid like vinyl or shellac. Instead, they involve a nitrocellulose layer that is adhered to either an aluminum, glass, or paper substrate. (Your example, i agree, is likely aluminum.)

In any case, you're going to want to examine the surface of the disc VERY closely and under GOOD light to determine whether or not there are cracks -- i mean tiny cracks -- in the cellulose layer before applying any liquids whatsoever as a cleaning agent. Allowing a liquid to seep into a crack in the cellulose surface compromises the adhesive and invites delamination.

Brandon Burke