Re: [ARSCLIST] Record Gunk

Christie Peterson wrote:
We have a 33 1/3 rpm record from 1958 with what can only be described as white gunk all over the surface. I'm looking for diagnoses and/or advice about what to do with it (other than don't play it, which is impossible in its current condition anyhow).

I've posted pictures here:
http://abacus.bates.edu/Library/aboutladd/departments/special/Disc.jpg
http://abacus.bates.edu/Library/aboutladd/departments/special/GunkUpClose.jpg

http://abacus.bates.edu/Library/aboutladd/departments/special/Sleeve.jpg

We rubbed a small amount of the stuff off from the blank surface near the label (visible in the pictures). It came off fairly easily, and had a waxy texture.

This disc has been stored alongside a number of others that are all fine, so I'm guessing this is something to do with the initial manufacturing process, but not sure. Based on the label, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of instantaneous recording disc.

The photo suggests that it was stored in the paper envelope, which would make this guess wrong. I've had similar gunk on a couple of LPs stored in plastic sleeves. I was told it's the plasticizer of the sleeve leaching onto the disc's surface. Since that is a plastic - and not all that different a plastic - no solution was suggested. Removing the plasticizer will remove some plastic as well.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/