Re: [ARSCLIST] CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

I agree,as someone who does not especially like jazz,in any form,but can appreciate great music.I was shocked myself,that anyone could believe this, sixty years after the bop/modern jazz revoultion.I thought the merits of "Kind of Blue",the Bird and Diz recordings of the 40s,"My Favorite Things",etc.,were so well established that NOBODY would question it.My gripe with jazz,is that there hasn't been anything new,and revolutionary,since the days of "Bitches Brew". THIRTY SIX FREAKIN' YEARS AGO!!
Acid jazz held some progress,for some innovation,and new ideas,but by and large,it fizzled. : (
                                Roger Kulp
Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I must take issue with Steven's dubious assertions about modern Jazz. To
suggest that the music of Miles Davis, Charlie Parker,
Thelonious Monk, etc was somehow inferior to "Dixieland" is simply
absurd. Dixieland does NOT survive
in any meaningful way while "Kind Of Blue" continues to sell to every
successive generation that discovers its
unearthly beauty. One man's opinion may be just that but to denigrate
all developments in jazz after Benny Goodman is an
insult to many listeners the world over and to the contributions of the
artists themselves. If you like Dixieland
fine but do not use this archaic form as a pedestal to disparage the
work of hundreds of artists who are among
the most talented people that America has ever produced. Anyone that has
heard Coltrane with Johnny Hartman
would immediately agree that Steven's suggestion that he eschewed
"familiar, ear-catching tunes" is not just
a shallow statement it also patently false. Finally, Steven damns modern
jazz for its "introspection". In an age
as loud, abrasive and glitzy as today music or anything for that matter,
that encourages introspection
seems to me an excellent antidote for the self-absorbed materialism that
has suffused our culture. When I need a respite from a
world gone quite mad, Miles Davis playing "Someday My Prince Will Come"
is a guaranteed moment of clarity,
profound introspection and ageless wonder. I suggest it to anyone that
appreciates great art.

Aaron