Re: [ARSCLIST] fwd: Everything Louder Than Everything Else : Have the loudness wars reached their final battle?

On 01/10/06, steven c wrote:

> And all I'll say about home listening is to note that current
> audio-supplier advertisements offer 300, 500 and even 1000-watt
> (my guess is PEAK power, not RMS?) home systems, usually as part
> of "home theatre" setups! Worse yet, I have seen advertised (and
> think I may have overheard) multi-KW automobile sound systems!

Bear in mind that speakers are often less efficient than in the past,
and that there is a lot to be said for having a few dB of headroom which
is never or very seldom used, rather than running an amp up to its limit
throughout a loud orchestral pasage.

Good modern recordings have a greater dynamic range than LPs.

> The one flaw in the design of the human race is, that as soon as
> anything has numbers defining it, our instinctive "Dominance
> Hierarchy" (aka "pecking order" (I'll here refrain from any
> comment on peckers...]) drives us to acquire the one with the
> highest number(s)!

Or, "my debts are bigger than yours".

;-)

Regards