Re: [ARSCLIST] 7" NAB reels, was: Reel-to-reel preservation supplies?

--- Lou Judson <loujudson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wow, times sure have changed! Every commercial open reel tape I
> ever
> saw came on them, and we used to put our most valuable recordings
> on
> them in radio and studio work. Bob O says that they used to be
> called
> "flutter-free" reels, as the larger hub keeps machine spooling
> motor variations from affecting the playback.
>
> Ther's a photo of one at
> <http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/usrecordingmedia-
> store_1917_712347>

That's not an NAB hub, that's an EIA hub.  The only reel
with an NAB hub on the other page you link to is the one
at the bottom for 1/2" tape.  We may be experiencing a
disagreement on the meaning of "hub".  :-) The EIA hub has
a 1/4" hole with three thin tabs on it, with the provision
for a drive puck a little bit farther out from the center
than the tabs.  The NAB hub has a 3" hole with three
wider tabs.  As far as I know, the diameter of the subsequent
hub upon which the tape wraps is not part of the distinction,
but I welcome informed correction.  :-)  I've got hundreds
of tapes on low-torque spot reels and 7" reels, but I've
always seen them referred to as low-torque EIA reels.

David Breneman         david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx