Re: [ARSCLIST] unknown artists and archives

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, David Seubert wrote:

> As a corollary, I'm sometimes a bit disappointed/jealous when a great
> collection doesn't come to an archive and is split up or sold off or
> whatever, but the important thing is that somebody who knows their stuff
> whether a collector, dealer, or an archivist evaluates it and makes sure
> that we aren't unknowingly losing important historical documents.

Sad to say, in my experience, libraries, archives and music departments
have caused us to lose more of our recorded legacy than collectors.

I used to be disappointed/jealous also when I saw a collection not coming
to an archive, but based upon my own experience, I regret having brought
so many wonderful collections to our own and other institutions.

Karl