Re: [ARSCLIST] unknown artists and archives

I think that Matt makes a very good point here. Relative to the number of important collections out there, there are a small number of archives and archivists preserving recorded sound. As archivists our expertise and contacts (not to mention time) are often limited and it is simply impossible to know every basement that is full or great stuff or which collector hasn't done any estate planning and their kids have no interest in it and will probably toss it out.

I was always told that one of the reasons that ARSC was formed back in the 1960s was to get the archivists, historians, collectors, discographers and others together so that we could all work together to make sure things are preserved. I've received tips from a number of fellow ARSC members about collections wanting homes. Just the other day we got 400 different 78s of Stardust this way (thanks, Tom)! Not all of these leads pan out, but we can't follow up on them if we don't know about them.

As a corollary, I'm sometimes a bit disappointed/jealous when a great collection doesn't come to an archive and is split up or sold off or whatever, but the important thing is that somebody who knows their stuff whether a collector, dealer, or an archivist evaluates it and makes sure that we aren't unknowingly losing important historical documents.

David Seubert
UCSB

Matthew Snyder wrote:

I can only speak with authority about NYPL. It's not the fault of the Music Division if nobody points them to unknown people and their archives. Nobody there had heard of Joe Reisman (arranger for Patti Page and Henry Mancini, among others) until his widow called up to say she wanted to donate his scores, and the library took them gladly. Most of that collection was actually fairly pedestrian, middle-of-the-road pop arrangements from the 1940s to 60s, which I'm glad the library has. Collections of lesser-known or unknown artists are and should be collected, but people should be proactive and actively contact libraries and archivists and TELL THEM about unknown artists and their collections.

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist
Wilson Processing Project
The New York Public Library