Re: [ARSCLIST] unknown artists and archives

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, David Seubert wrote:
>
> > As a corollary, I'm sometimes a bit disappointed/jealous when a great
> > collection doesn't come to an archive and is split up or sold off or
> > whatever, but the important thing is that somebody who knows their stuff
> > whether a collector, dealer, or an archivist evaluates it and makes sure
> > that we aren't unknowingly losing important historical documents.
>
> Sad to say, in my experience, libraries, archives and music departments
> have caused us to lose more of our recorded legacy than collectors.
>
> I used to be disappointed/jealous also when I saw a collection not coming
> to an archive, but based upon my own experience, I regret having brought
> so many wonderful collections to our own and other institutions.

As a discographic researcher, my vote goes to making as many sound
recordings as possible (particularly 78's!) available at least to
interested researchers (listeners could be provided with, and
probably accept, digital or other copies?)!

Listening to a CD reissue of a Grey Gull side I don't own is usually
entertaining...but it doesn't, for example, let me see what font was
used for the matrix-number information (and may not even provide the
matrix number itself!)...or other items I would know if I owned
a copy of the record itself, or had physical access to one, or
could write or e-mail my question to a party whom I knew understood
it...