Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

Ouch !

I like vinyl for its strong points.. Its weak points are ones that
digital doesn't have. Digital certainly has its weak points, no doubt
about it...and they are ones vinyl doesn't have. That had to be balanced
out against the total rubbish equipment most consumers had when it came
out. For them it WAS a vast improvement.. At the time.

IMHO, you can make any media sound like 'crap', and the engineering and
mastering of most current CD's seems to prove that. I read a quote once
from Rodger Nichols, a very well known engineer. He was asked to judge a
group of current recordings and rate them, I think it was for 'pop
recording of the year', with a group of other engineers. I forget the
exact words, but to paraphrase:  "It was clear that some of the
recordings were well recorded, at least in the initial stages. However,
the final CD mastered results were squashed and horrible sounding. It
just goes to show you can't shine a turd.."

He's done digital recording about since the beginning of time. Again,
IMHO, it is not digital technologies so much that are flawed (one could
argue that 44.1/16 is not high enough, but then, looking back at 1980's
practical consumer technologies...) as one could argue that the
technology is misused in the worst possible ways. Ways that highlight
all the weak points, instead of playing to the strong ones. Vinyl forced
more discipline...sometimes... :>)

...Just one man's opinion, to be sure.. But I grew up with vinyl, and
like it somewhat better, on great gear.