Re: [ARSCLIST] discography of "direct-to-disk revival"?

There's a pretty spectacular Crystal Clear with Richard Morris playing some organ in Atlanta (Ruffatti?). I think the name is "Sonic Fireworks v.2". The music and sound is over the top. Real loud and low.
Phillip

Mike Richter wrote:
Peter Hirsch wrote:
I seem to recall a Cleveland Symphonic Winds LP with Louis Lane (I think) that included the Royal Fireworks on Telarc that was either D to D or one of the early digitally recorded efforts. Wait a minute; never mind -- I just went and dug out a CD release of this and it has Frederick Fennell conducting and it says "During the recording of the digital masters and the subsequent transfer to disc, the signal was not passed through any processing device at any step during production." The recording date is April 1978 and I am sure that I heard the LP version not too long after that and it made enough of an impression on me that, almost thirty years later, I recalled it's exceptional presence. Probably the first time I heard digital in any form and it was a pretty ear-opening contrast to what I was used to. Of course, having the Cleveland Orchestra's woodwinds and brass (not too many years post-Szell) playing the gig under the great Windmeister may have been part of why it was so effective.

Anyone out there have the vinyl and care to share your impression of the sound?

But the LP matrix was cut from the digital master as they said. Telarc did many such - I've half a dozen or more - but they used a digital intermediate instead of a tape intermediate, a difference that still puts a pair of interfaces between the preamp and the disc.

There was another D2D label of some interest, Crystal Clear. Unfortunately, neither of the LPs I have of theirs (Fiedler with the Pops and Virgil Fox on the organ) is sonically or musically interesting.

Mike