Re: [ARSCLIST] "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On 9/20/06, steven c <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:The pleasure of
physically PLAYING a "RECORD" increases many timeswhen the phonorecord in
question is a shellac record intended tobe played at something close to
78rpm! These are actual, physicalartifacts of an age long past...for the
earliest ones, artifactsof a time when the mere fact that sound could be
recorded at alland thus made available to listeners far away in time, space
orboth from the original recorded performance was considered littleshort of
amazing!In fact, you are looking at an object which probably broughtpleasure
to someone(s) close to, or over, a century ago...andcan still bring pleasure
to at least a few folks now, generations later!

Every year at Christmas we crank up the diamond disk player and listen to
carols, sung by a long dead chorus.  As alluded to by Steven C, it brings
out a great variety of thoughts and feelings.  Turning the crank, carefully
positioning the reproducer, even more carefully lowering it, getting the top
down and running to get out in front before the music starts.  Two and a
half months.  I can't listen now, I have all those mp3's to listen to.  FBS