Re: [ARSCLIST] Registry of Digital Masters

Karl,

Thanks for your reply. You bring up some very good points.

As we all know, the current thinking on audio preservation is to reformat to
digital. For the vast majority of libraries (if not all), digitising their
entire collection is not an option due to budgetary and time constraints.
Hard as it may be, choices must be made on what to reformat, or at least on
what to reformat first; and I think that knowing if an item has already been
properly digitised could help in setting up priorities.

I am not sure that a separate registry is needed. Perhaps all that is needed
is good metadata in cataloguing records describing when something has been
digitised properly: that way there is only one place to look. The record
should also include what you mentioned: What type of file, what kind of
access, and whether there are Spanish announcements on top of the music
<grin>.

I agree about your point about multiple copies being one of the best
preservation methods. But again, I think the info could help _prioritise_
reformatting.

I think the blurb about libraries being committed to preserving their
artifacts deals specifically with their digital copies. What you do not want
to happen is the following: "I was going to digitise my record, but Library
B already did". Then, when you try to get the file later, they say "Oh
yeah... our server crashed (or whatever) so that file is lost".

Thanks

Marcos