Re: [ARSCLIST] ^ Letter on British Copyright Term Extension

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, steven c wrote:

> And to whom would we be paying royalties on Gregorian Chants...?!

That's an easy one...Pope Gregory I and his heirs, namely, the Catholic
Church...ok, so its not all that easy as the Emperor Charlemagne can take
some credit for locating the repertory, and assuming it is Gregorian
and not Old Roman, Ambrosian, Gallican or Mozarabic...and then there are
those musicians who actually composed it, and then there are those who later
notated it, and then there are those who transcribed it from the early
notation (I had a two semester course in graduate school doing just
that...not an easy task), and then there are those who have provided us
with different approaches to performance practice of the notation, and
what about Pothier who designed new type faces...and did the Catholic
Church abdicate ownership of chant with the Second Vatican Council when
they decided to rely more on the vernacular...

Could somebody please get me an imitrex and a lawyer...

Karl