Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

"Richard L. Hess" wrote:

> At 07:46 PM 9/5/2006, David Lennick wrote:
> >Anyone remember DBX-encoded LPs? M&K Realtime came in and did a
> >helluva demo at the station. No point to
> >our taking the discs, of course, because we weren't about to spring
> >for the decoder to play the 3 LPs
> >they had available, and the "normal" versions sounded just fine
> >(Zoltan Rozsnyai conducting some good
> >"demo" classical pieces).
> >
> >10 years later I found a CD issue of those same recordings and it
> >was terrible..the orchestra sounded
> >like a high school band, badly miked.
>
> Do you think they forgot to decode the dbx ? ? ?

Actually I think they used alternate takes. I remember the playing having been
particularly good on the LPs, dbx or no, and I interviewed Rozsnyai at the time.
EQ and mixing aside, what was on the CD just didn't sound like a good orchestra.

> I'm pretty sure the Man of LaMancha Original Broadway Cast that I
> have on CD was NOT played back through an AME Equalizer before it went to CD.

I have a lot of Broadway material on LP and unless there are significant
improvements or unissued bonus tracks, I don't bother picking them up on CD. Most
of them sound lousy. Most of the early ones used "wrong" sub-masters or had weird
edits ("Carefully Taught" in South Pacific missing a whole passage, "Carousel" on
MCA going back after the finale and repeating the first 5 tracks).

dl