Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

At 07:46 PM 9/5/2006, David Lennick wrote:
Anyone remember DBX-encoded LPs? M&K Realtime came in and did a helluva demo at the station. No point to
our taking the discs, of course, because we weren't about to spring for the decoder to play the 3 LPs
they had available, and the "normal" versions sounded just fine (Zoltan Rozsnyai conducting some good
"demo" classical pieces).

10 years later I found a CD issue of those same recordings and it was terrible..the orchestra sounded
like a high school band, badly miked.

Do you think they forgot to decode the dbx ? ? ?

I'm pretty sure the Man of LaMancha Original Broadway Cast that I have on CD was NOT played back through an AME Equalizer before it went to CD.

Cheers,

Richard