To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

Mike Richter wrote:

Per Wikipedia (consistent with my faulty memory):

"The Compact Disc reached the market in late 1982 in Asia and early the
following year in other markets."

By late 1982 (October 20th, to be specific) I had moved from Toronto to Edmonton, but a live-to-air demonstration of compact discs on the CBC Stereo Network had occurred in my presence in Toronto prior to that date. Definitely before the first week in September.

dl

The same source reports:

"The first hard disk drive was the IBM 350 Disk File, invented by
Reynold Johnson and introduced in 1955 with the IBM 305 computer."

Here, I can attest that as of Summer 1957, the state of the art in
practice was the 4K drum memory of the IBM 650.

I did not have a CD pressed until 1996, but at that time the broker
still handled Exabyte tape - the format he reported to have been used
frequently before CD-R and Jaz came into use.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/