To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

At 08:02 PM 9/5/2006, you wrote:
Hi Richard:

I don't even know if this is possible, but did you ever try "de-NAB'ing" that CD and then AME'ing it? Could you do that in Samplitude? I'd think you might want to make an analog transfer, 24-bits, at a relatively low peak level. Then reverse-NAB it. Then AME it, then normalize for peak value. Result better or worse?

-- Tom Fine

Better but not perfect with AME added -- they tried to de-AME it with mastering EQ, I think, so it's very variable, but the de-AME filter in Samplitude (that I made in an equalizer helped a lot.

Remember, AME is a curve on TOP of NAB-15.

I have designed an AME filter with contemporary components and it matches the two AME equalizers I could model and Jay McKnight's published curve pretty well. I have a set of three and I sold one to another engineer and a third engineer built a set from my plans which are on my Web site...somewhere. Search the Tips and Notes Blog for AME is probably fastest.

Cheers,

Richard