Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation media WAS: Cataloguing still :-)

On 05/09/06, Tom Fine wrote:

> It wasn't until the 1990's that the majority of labels got serious
> about doing decent remasters, going back to original tapes and in some
> cases using original playback equipment. Some of the best CD's were
> made in that decade. As Big Music conglomerated and stripped budgets
> and personnel to "rationalize" the bankers fees paid to conglomerate,
> reissue quality went down. Then the "make it clipping loud" thing came
> in, plus the idea of professional recording methods went "out of
> fashion" in too many cases. But, at least it was still a CD-oriented
> market. Then came Napster and iTunes and we're back to quality about
> akin to a good 78.

I wish it was that good.

I downloaded a sample 128k MP3 from Magnatune the other day and found it
so distorted as to be barely listenable, even as a sample. (They do
offer WAV files if you buy.)

The sound quality on the BBC web site has also gone too low for music.
It was better two years ago, but they have cut the bit rate right down.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx