Re: [ARSCLIST] History Detectives

Thanks for posting this Cheryl - good timing. As luck would have it, I went to the web site and discovered that it was airing locally at that exact moment, in hi-def no less. I turned it on and caught all of the Paramount piece and most of the Superman piece.

Dick, you look good in hi-def!!! And Jon Samuels also, nice studio with a Technics OR machine in the background, was it?

OK, here's a question. When Jon plays the stamper, what is that thing on the side of the tone arm right next to the cartridge? It looks like some kind of a shaft with a counter weight. I'd need to look again to make a better description, but I don't have time at this moment. Hopefully someone already knows and will tell us.

I coughed a few times at some semi-mis-statements, especially about the development of the LP. My feeling was that someone had combined multiple statements into one for brevity, and thereby compromised the integrity of the information. Yes, vinyl was available during WW2 (and before), just not for commercial records. There were vinyl records that could contain a half hour per record, not per side (during the war). The LP came into its own after the war and on into the 50s and 60s. It didn't replace shellac during the war, but it did later. And so on and so forth......

Overall it is certainly an enjoyable piece and a rare treat to see something of this nature on tv.

Joe Salerno
Industrial Video Services
PO Box 273405
Houston Texas 77277-3405

Dr. Cheryl Thurber wrote:
I did a quick check. These are times when it will be showing again in the Maryland/DC area. It is the current season, season 4 episode 11. Some of these are the digital/HD schedules. At anyrate it is still showing right now.
Cheryl http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigations/411_paramount_records.html
This is the link for the particular segment on History Dectectives.
• History Detectives - "Superman Sketch; Lost Musical Treasure; Rebel Whiskey Flask"
WMPTDT4, Tue Sep 05 02:00pm EDT
• • History Detectives WHUT, Fri Sep 08 09:00pm EDT
• History Detectives - "Superman Sketch; Lost Musical Treasure; Rebel Whiskey Flask"
WMPTDT2, Sat Sep 09 10:00pm EDT
• History Detectives - "Superman Sketch; Lost Musical Treasure; Rebel Whiskey Flask"
WMPTDT3, Sat Sep 09 10:00pm EDT
• History Detectives - "Superman Sketch; Lost Musical Treasure; Rebel Whiskey Flask"
WMPTDT2, Sun Sep 10 01:00am EDT
• History Detectives - "Superman Sketch; Lost Musical Treasure; Rebel Whiskey Flask"
WMPTDT3, Sun Sep 10 01:00am EDT
• History Detectives - "Superman Sketch; Lost Musical Treasure; Rebel Whiskey Flask"
WMPTDT4, Sun Sep 10 08:00am EDT

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Yes, some of the narrator's part was carelessly written. I don't think it detracted from the baic story line.

It was terrific seing Spottwood and Samuel, two pals who are ARSC members, doing their things.

I assume the wind-up that Dick was using to play back his example was the same turntable on which he prepares his weekly program. Very classy.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" To: Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 1:26 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] History Detectives

So ARSClist seems to be enjoying it. 78-L has already ripped it to shreds. (No
comment..I didn't watch it. Had other things to do like wax the cat.)

dl

phillip holmes wrote:

And a new leading man....Dick Spotswood. What a screen presence!

Mike Richter wrote:
This is a program on PBS. The segment showing locally as I write is on
some lost Paramount masters. Among the interesting items is an
engineer playing a master - the appropriate stylus, but reversed in
the computer.

Mike

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.7/437 - Release Date: 9/4/2006

Dr. Cheryl Thurber

email: cthurb@xxxxxxxxx

http://www.eset.com