Re: [ARSCLIST] History Detectives

Narrator Tukufu Zuberi told the guy with the metal parts that "Three
O'Clock In the Morning" was an English music hall song, when it was
published in (I think) Spain in 1919 by one Julián Robledo.  It became a
US hit when English lyrics were appended in 1921.

Zuberi referred to Fred Van Eps' "Dixie Medley" as "Dixie Melody," perhaps
not knowing the difference between the two words.  DM included "Turkey in
the Straw" and 1-2 other chestnuts, and Fred recorded it for many labels
from 1915 onwards.  The Paramount version is from 1921 too.  For a show
avowedly based on research techniques, those are significant errors.

The part showing how transfers were made was pretty good.  Jack Towers & I
had to copy metal masters for a Bear Family project a few years ago, and
we had to dub them backwards onto a full track reel-to-reel mono tape and
recopy that in reverse onto a DAT master.  We had four heavy cartons of
them---you talk about labor intensive...

Dick

Dick

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>
09/05/2006 07:26 AM
Please respond to
Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [ARSCLIST] History Detectives

Yes, some of the narrator's part was carelessly written.  I don't think it

detracted from the baic story line.

It was terrific seing Spottwood and Samuel, two pals who are ARSC members,

doing their things.

I assume the wind-up that Dick was using to play back his example was the
same turntable on which he prepares his weekly program.  Very classy.

Steve Smolian