Re: [ARSCLIST] Paper cuts * going all -digital still not popular [Re: Preservation ]

On Sep 5, 2006, at 5:58 AM, Robert Hodge wrote:

Hi,

Paper prints were generated and deposited at the Library Of Congress as a means of copyright registration.

The medium never saw projection in any form.

BH

Never say never:
"Most recent restoration was a previously lost Mary Pickford short -- Little Red Riding Hood -- the only film of hers made for COSMOPOLITAN PICTURES that has been found. The print had the consistency of packing tape, and was horribly curled from 90 years of remaining wound tightly -- but it scanned perfectly and showed last week at the Museum of the Moving Image.

(I haven't seen it yet.)

But so far our gear has restored 2 Chaplin films, a Pickford film, William S. Hart's first big film, and many more. Not bad!"
(above from Jeff Kreines, in a private email)
Maybe never before, but now they have been shown! Kinetta.com - see the preservation article pdf on the downloads page. This is fascinating to me as I had no idea paper prints were ever made...

<L>
Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio