Re: [ARSCLIST] Underscore in file names

----- Original Message -----
From: <Ganesh.Irelan@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> For those of you using computer files for archiving, do you use space bar
spaces in your file names or underscores?  Is there a reason to avoid space
bar spaces in file names?

Versions of Windows from W95 onward can transparently deal with file
names which include spaces, or are over eight characters long...as can
SOME Internet browsers. To stay on the safe side, replace spaces with
underscores...to stay on the REALLY safe side, use the old DOS "8.3"
format for names and extensions (in case your archive is accessed by
somebody with a VERY old system!).

There is one obscure problem I have run across: I have two folders,
respectively named "My Documents" and "My Documents (Old)." When I
need to access one of them in an older, pre W9* program...they show
up as mydocu*1 and mydocu*2...so it's up to me to remember which is
which!

Remember than an archive can be (and thus might be!) accessed by
all sorts of users...