Re: [ARSCLIST] Underscore in file names

steven c wrote:

There is one obscure problem I have run across: I have two folders,
respectively named "My Documents" and "My Documents (Old)." When I
need to access one of them in an older, pre W9* program...they show
up as mydocu*1 and mydocu*2...so it's up to me to remember which is
which!

Right - the classic problem of long and short filenames.

There is one more point to be made: case sensitivity on the Internet. A Windows server is insensitive to case; Apache is sensitive. With Windows creating the appearance of mixed case from all upper case, there are many ways to fall into a trap with that.

The issue is mixed case in a single name; Apache treats all-upper and all-lower as equivalent. So if you get into the habit of using single-case names, that failure mode shouldn't be in effect.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/