Re: [ARSCLIST] Video format preferences

Tommy,

I'm sure you will get many responses to this request. You are not going to get away from compression in video among currently available formats.

Mini-DV is compressed, so is digital Betacam, although the compression is less and the image quality outstanding. So is the price.

You also need to consider standard definition vs. high definition. More compression.

If helical scan tape is to be avoided in audio archiving, I see no reason not to exclude it in video recording, but that eliminates all video tape formats currently in use. Now you're back to recording directly to DVD, and you already have indicated your mistrust of it.

That leaves recording only to a hard disc, which is not without its problems. You could record directly to HDD using 10-bit uncompressed from analog betacam, or maybe SDI (serial digital), something like a Matrox Axio which is what I edit on these days. How many terrabytes can you afford?

For what you are describing, interviews, shouldn't be too demanding. You could do hi-def SDI to HDD, might be overkill. For concert performances one camera won't do much, and audio becomes a big issue.

Depending on how much $$$ you can throw at this, you might want to start small and work up to more. I'd suggest a 3 chip camera whatever you do, and a small light kit. In standard definition, the Sony PD-170 is the current low-light mini-dv/DVCam champ, if low light is a consideration. Will you be recording operas or dramatic shows? Among hi-def cams the Sony Z-1 (I forget the exact model number) is a champ for general use, but no hd cam is as good a low light performer as a standard def camera.

More expensive cameras give more options for the amount of compression and image quality.

You might need to ask some tough questions about your proposed use and finances before going further.

Joe Salerno
Industrial Video Services
PO Box 273405
Houston Texas 77277-3405

Tommy Sjöberg wrote:
Dear all,
In the sound archive where I work there has recently been moves to acquire a video camera to capture information (interviews, music performances, concerts, etc). I have been asked for comments as to what format to record on - for once I actually have a chance to influence the ingested format!

My problem is that I know very little about video, how it is saved on the capturing media, how it should be stored and safe-guarded for the future, etc (except for the basics that apply to magnetic media in general). I assume that direct-to-DVD recorders should be avoided as that means compression right at the source, as well as avoiding analogue, but then what? Is miniDV, for instance, a "good" format to put on the shelf, until such time that it can be transfered to some future mass storage device? Are there any recommendations out there?

Any and all help in this decision making is appreciated.
Thanxs all,
Tommy

----
Tommy Sjöberg
Sound Archivist
The Centre for Swedish Folk Music and Jazz Research
Stockholm, Sweden

http://www.eset.com