Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

Scott Phillips wrote:
It is important to note as well that the impedance of the loudspeaker
varies with frequency as well, both because of the resonate mechanical /
electrical frequency of the individual drivers as well as whatever the
passive crossover is doing, if there is one. Therefore, if I remember
correctly, if the source impedance of the amplifier remains pretty
constant with frequency, then by simple math the amount of power the
amplifier actually delivers to the load must vary with frequency as
well.

Somewhat true, but taken into account in the design of a (quality) speaker system. In fact, the resistive load does not vary greatly, though the complex terms do. In good approximation, the amplifier is a zero-ohm resistive source; the cabling adds resistance and therefore reduces the damping factor. In my experience with audio system design, the speaker is designed for critical damping when connected to a zero-ohm load.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/