Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

At 11:06 PM 8/28/2006, Mike Richter wrote:
Jerome Hartke wrote:

Cable impedance only becomes significant if their length approaches a tenth
wavelength or more. I doubt that this happens at audio frequencies unless
the speakers are in another state.
Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

I rarely disagree with Jerry, but here I must. 1 KHz has a wavelength of about twelve inches. An unstopped 30-foot organ pipe produces a 32 Hz fundamental. And so on.

A tenth of a wavelength is very much realized even in Rhode Island <G>. Cable resistance is important in almost any setup, but complex components are not.
Ummmm, Mike, I think you're thinking acoustic waves vs. electrical waves.

Speed of sound is what 1120 ft/s?

Speed of electricity is what 186,000 miles a second, and in a conductor the signal moves at 0.66 the speed of light (more or less, depending)?

So we have 186,000/200,000 * 0.66 * 5280 which equals about 3241 feet for 1/10 of a cycle at 20 kHz or 32,410 feet per cycle at 20 kHz.

So this is not even Rhode Island size, but it's lots more feet than the previous message, no?

Cheers,

Richard