From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Richter
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 8:25 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

steven c wrote:

> When you folks are talking about "impedance" in relation to speaker
> (and other sound-system) cables...are you talking about the impedance
> of the cables as a transmission line? If so, does the frequency of the

> tramsmitted signal get involved at all? As well, does this mean that
> the impedances of both the output of the signal source and the input
> of whatever is being fed would have to be matched to the cables'
> characteristic impedance? I used to use 72-ohm transmission line to
> feed a half-wave dipole, with a pi-network output feeding my
> transmitter signal to the "house end" of the twin-lead (or 300- ohm
> line to feed a "folded dipole")...But is the upshot of this the
> possibility of having "standing waves" on speaker cables?
>
> Steven C. Barr

I won't speak for others, but for myself: No, I'm not speaking of a
transmission line. At the frequencies involved, simple RCL analysis is
quite enough. That also applies to the effect of coiling the wires:
there is no significant inductance and would not be even if the zip cord
were unzipped.

Of course, if one were generating and detecting a couple of hundred KHz,
there might be some significance. Barring parasitics, I'm not generating
them.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx