[ARSCLIST] Which Stylus Size for 78's (if you could have only one) ?

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone out there could help me get into the intimidating task of playing all sorts of 78's on modern equipment.  I have an Audio-Technica direct drive turntable that has speed adjustment and 78 setting, and I want to get another headshell/cartridge/stylus combo for it to play back 78's.

I understand that I will also need a flat preamp or a preamp that has various curves for older media, and I will be going eventually into my computer so I will have to get some software as well.  What I am looking for now is a way to just play through my collection of 78's accumulated over the years that mostly haven't seen the light of day in decades.

I know it would be ideal to have multiple syli for various reasons, and that there are conical, elliptical, and truncated elliptical profiles.

My question is, if you could have only one sylus for just starting out, what size and shape would you choose, and why?  What about cartridge?  I have heard the Stanton 500 is a good one - any others currently manufactured?

thanks sincerely in advance,

Dave Forsyth