Re: [ARSCLIST] Cables- was Can 78s sound better than LPs?

I have to challenge this. I have no idea if a similar model of speaker has the same components inside of powered vs unpowered versions. It is entirely possible they put in a cheap crossover in order to sell more powered versions.

While I have never done any tests - I don't use powered speakers as they are too heavy, and I do live sound all the time - It would take a careful matching of amps and crossovers to eliminate the variables... Who knows, maybe having the amps built in the back of a speaker with inches instead of feet of wire IS the ideal design. In my experience, Mackie HR studio speakers sound great, while Mackie and JBL PA speakers sound better to me in externally powered versions. But then, it is hard to compare because of the material other people play on their systems, as I like my kind of music better and have never been able to set them up side by side. So shut my mouth, I dunno...

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689