Re: [ARSCLIST] Non-RIAA preamp (was: WHY save as WAV's when Mp3's can do???)

Parker Dinkins wrote:
>However, there's nothing special about
>needing to de-click a phonograph record.

I strongly disagree.  All the declicking algorithms that I have used
(about a dozen or so) perform MUCH better with flat transfers than RIAA'd
ones.  It stands to reason.  Clicks have a much higher-frequency-weighted
spectrum.  If you roll off the high end severely (as RIAA and similar
curves do), you rob the algorithm of its most important information for
detecting clicks.  The results generally reflect this.

If your goal is to declick and not merely transfer, flat preamps are all
but essential.  If you just want to listen to an LP warts and all, then
your ears will tell you what sounds best.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Professional Audio for CD, DVD, Broadcast & Internet